- Former golf writer at the Chicago Tribune
- Pro to the question "Is Golf a Sport?"
“If golf isn’t a sport, then how come the best athletes in the world can’t master it? Jerry Rice might have been the best football player ever, yet he shot a round in the 90s when he tried to tee it up on the Nationwide Tour. Michael Jordan only dreams of being a professional golfer. Yes, golf is a hard sport…
Sadly, if you can take steroids to improve your performance, then you’re a sport. Golf falls under that category. Golf was way behind the curve on this, but officials finally did institute testing for performance enhancing drugs. Just like sports such as baseball and football, golf reacted to curb a potential problem…
Just like the other sports, the mental aspect is huge in golf. The player who can think his way around the course, who can handle and overcome adversity, who can stare down an opponent, who can will the putt in the hole with everything on the line, always will reign supreme in golf. Michael Jordan had it in his sport. Tiger Woods has it in his sport.”
Cowritten with Leonard Shapiro, “Golf Is a Sport,” Golf List Mania!: The Most Authoritative and Opinionated Rankings of the Best and Worst of the Game, 2011
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Editor and lead writer, Shermanreport.com, 2012-present
- Co-host, The Scorecard radio show, WSCR-AM 670 (CBS affiliate)
- Sports business blogger, Crain’s Chicago Business, 2008-2012
- Golf writer, Chicago Tribune, 1997-2008
- Sports writer, Chicago Tribune, 1981-1997
- First-place, enterprise category, Golf Writers of America Association contest (three times)
- Recipient, Excellence in Sports Journalism Award, Center for the Study of Sport in Society at Northeastern University, 1994
- BA, University of Illinois, 1981
- Contact Info:
- Twitter handle: @sherman_report
- Lives in the north suburbs of Chicago with his wife and two sons
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Is Golf a Sport?